Now, it's all about tomatoes, which I've been known to bite into like an apple. Delicious!
The Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 12-15 tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup baby bella sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- Dried oregano leaves (to taste)
- Parsley flakes (to taste)
- Dash of sea salt
- Put all ingredients in large pot and boil.
- Once items are boiling, reduce to a simmer and stir occasionally.
- Taste along the way, adding more of any of the above items as necessary
- Eat immediately and store some in the freezer and refrigerator to enjoy again!
Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, the phytonutrient responsible for their deep red hue.(1) Time and again, numerous studies have pointed specifically to tomatoes' lycopene and other phytonutrients as being a key factor that leads to the death of cancerous cells, keeping certain cancers like lung, prostate and breast at bay.(1)
As for baby bella mushrooms, there have been findings demonstrating that they, along with the likes of button varieties and oyster mushrooms, play a role in staving off the growth of breast cancer cells.(2) Additionally, these mushrooms contain minerals that help with the development of connective tissue, prevent inflammation in blood vessels, and can even keep blood sugar levels steady.(2)
Garlic is another health food superstar; its active substance, allicin, works to relax blood vessels and break down blood activity in a way that lowers cholesterol levels and platelet aggregation.(3)
What's not to love about this tasty recipe? It's wonderful knowing that the tomatoes came fresh from the garden, weird-shaped ones and all, and ended up being part of a healthy, homemade sauce.